Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Watson Girls Huckleberry Pie

My Aunt doesn't like to cook but she makes a mean pie and is great at canning chutneys, jams etc. 

This recipe comes from her and is one my mom uses as well. I tried my hand at it the first time today. 


The focus clearly is awesome huckleberries. 

Preheat oven to 350F 

I made a shortbread crust with:
2 sticks (1 cup) sweet cream salted butter
2 cups all purpose flour 
2/3 cup confectioners sugar 

I melted the butter a smidge in the microwave to soften and then mixed in the flour and sugar and mix up till well blended and resembles cookie dough 

Press into a pie pan I used a 9" but there is enough dough for 10" or 11" the crust will just be thinner. 

Bake empty pie crust 12-15 min or until golden. Set aside to cool when done and turn off the oven, you won't need it again. 

For the filling: 
Take 2-3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
mix with 1/2 cup water
In a pot on the stovetop boil
1/2-2 cups huckleberries (blueberries would work well also) 
1/3-1/2 cup sugar and the water cornstarch mix.  
Stir at a boil for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is thick.
Take off heat. 
Stir into mix 1 Tablespoon Butter and 
An additional 2 cups of fresh berries. 

Pour into cooked pie shell. 

Let set in refrigerator. 

Enjoy and get bliss end out on huckleberries 




No comments:

Post a Comment