Sunday, March 20, 2011

On Money

My mother expressed some shock and concern over my spending on my Sushi splurge. So I thought I would make it clear that I am generally (out of necessity more than anything) very very frugal.
I have only 4 times in my life spent more than $50 on myself on a meal... I will remember all of those events forever. Two of those three events were Sushi, one was a glorious meal in Australia with our winnings from gambling, and one was Elemental at Gasworks.


There is a great line in Hello Dolly/The Matchmaker "Money is like manure; it's not worth a thing unless it's spread around encouraging young things to grow." - Thornton Wilder.  I love this line, I would rather go to some small independent restaurant than a chain, I'd rather spend lots of money for something truly remarkable than a little for something indifferent 


I sometimes go weeks without eating out, I tend to shop at places like Grocery Outlet or use coupons or only get things that are on sale at the regular market when getting food. For Clothes Ross and Target and thrift shops are where you will tend to find me. Again this is mostly out of necessity, I have never had tons of money, I do enjoy the "finer things" in life.  So once every great while I will take myself someplace nice and splurge.


So I am not a spoiled brat ...I wish sometimes I were... I would love to have enough to shop at Nordstrom and fancy boutiques and  eat at all the nice restaurants in Seattle ... but somehow I suspect if it were a common occurrence it wouldn't be as special and I wouldn't appreciate it quite so much when I do have those rare extravagant adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment