Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Culture and Theatre

When I was a young girl, (about 5th grade I think) we had a heritage day, we were supposed to dress up as whatever our family back ground was. I went to my father and asked the question, what are we? what do I go as? He told me to go as the International states building. My grandfather has told me at various times that we are related to Irish kings and Egyptian pharaohs (what girl doesn't want to be a princess?). Who knows, maybe its true. I do know on my mothers side I'm related to William "Buffalo bill" Cody. Mostly its European mutt, English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Russian, German etc, but I suspect somewhere there's some middle eastern as well. So really I'm just a bit of a gypsy. I've claimed that as my own, the Celtic gypsy. But I have a large amount of envy for people who have their strong heritage and know their culture. Where am I going with all of this?

Recently a friend of mine had a play reading, he's starting a new company Ese Teatro, for Dia De Los Muertos they did a lovely reading of a play Volver, Volver, Volver.  It was held and the Rainier Cultural Center. I'm excited for this new company, even though I am not Latin and have no Spanish whatsoever. Ok thats not entirely true. I did take two years in High School and recognize the odd word and phrase, but despite my fabulous youthful appearance high school was quite some time ago.... coming up on a 15 year reunion here and if thats not frightening I'm just not sure what is. But I digress. Donde es el banya? and Quanto questo? are about what I remember and yes I am ashamed to admit it. I wish I were multi-lingual. ... I digress again. It's late.

Culture and Theatre. It is through storytelling that theatre began, various cultures telling their stories. You can go all over the world and what strikes me is not our differences but our similarities. The use of music and dance, the roles of men and women. The play,  had the character of the Bruja (witch essentially) and the 3 generations of women. The same can be found in celtic/druid/pagan faiths... mother, maiden, crone, women in touch with nature and the spiritual beyond. very fitting for Dia De Los Muertos. The idea that we can communicate beyond our present plane. I like this idea.  I like the idea too that theatre is a window into culture, and we can learn not only about our own (whatever that is) but others as well.

I hope Ese Teatro does well, and if they ever need a curvacious white girl... they know were to find me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment