Here's my conundrum folks... I have opinions, I will try to voice them gently. I love theatre, I'm in theatre (at least in theory ... somehow the community hasn't quite figured out to do with me yet...and that's a growing source of frustration and a topic I won't overwhelm you with).
I have friends in pretty much every show I see. I will talk about shows here and I want to be honest and I don't want to hurt feelings. So to those friends I say take it with a grain of salt, if I criticise its only that I know you can do better. One of the things I learned from my teacher Bonnie Cohen at Cornish was that through all her critical scolding of me she was shaping me into something stronger and brilliant. I cried a lot, then I grew. I love theatre, I want it to thrive, I want it to grow, and lets be honest its struggling for life. ( I have opinions on that too but that's a topic for another time)
I also learned at Cornish that by the critical analysis of the things I see we are able as artists to hopefully take steps to improve. It took me a long time to figure this out, I liked to go by the thumper rule of thumb and not say anything if I didn't have anything nice to say. I've come to realize this doesn't serve anyone. How can we improve if we don't know what we are doing wrong? This said opinions are opinions and I may hate something that other people love and visa versa.
"ya gotta take it with a grain of salt"
No comments:
Post a Comment