Monday, November 1, 2010

Macbeth and Pickman's Model

Ah Fall time for spooky scary things. Seattle Theatre has embraced this whole heartily and I had the good fortune to see two very fun productions this last week.

Greenstage's Macbeth:
Ken Holmes directed the Scottish Play gone Steam punk, in Greenstage's "Hard Bard" production.
What worked:  Ryan Spikard was a very strong and clear and connected Macbeth. The witches were delightful ( and I will concede that the casting was good on this... I originally auditioned for one of the witches). Sam Hagen was very strong as Banquo and the Doctor and did some really specific, connected lovely work. Tom Dewy and Patrick Bentley provided many chuckles and were very specific as always (I'm always impressed by both these men).  Helen Parsons was adorable in all her incarnations of little boys, though I would have liked a bit stronger variance in physicality and character.  Erin Day was a strong MacDuff right up until the sword fighting where she faltered.  Costumes by Janessa Styk were stunning. The amount of Gore was just right, not over the top like last years Titus, but still enough to make you squirm and make one audience member run away as she got splashed for the second time. The fight choreography in general was well choreographed and executed, again Ryan gets extra gold stars for throwing himself down stairs and over tables face first into a pie.

What sort of worked: The barber shop trio, I liked the concept, Matthew Gilbert had a nice strong clear voice, the others struggled to match his clarity of pitch and strength. If you are going to do it, do it with good strong voices that can sing on pitch. The song choices were clever. Aaron Allshouse I know stepped in rather late in the game to replace an injured Paul Ray in the role of Duncan/Siward and maybe it was the teddy bear but his Duncan didn't quite work for me, I thoroughly enjoyed the Siward with the walker though.

What could have worked better:  (this is the section where I cringe a little because I don't want to hurt feelings) Amelia Meckler (who I love and consider a good friend) fell a little flat as Lady M, I know she's been fighting an illness for a while, and I'm sure that contributed, but I just wanted her to go further and make stronger choices. She felt weak next to Ryans Macbeth, when she should be the driving force behind him. I wanted her to bring more of that sexiness which I know she has, and more of the forcefulness which I also know she has. Last year Amelia stole the show as the bloody wench (in my opinion). I wished my dear friend Julia Griffin had brought a bit more spunk to her maid role (this year's bloody wench) because again, I know she has it. My two powerful friends needed to show it a bit more in this show, and that is said full of love and admiration for both of them.

In general I enjoyed the show very much. I love Greenstage and everyone involved and consider them family so go see their shows, they are good and bring Shakespeare to the masses for FREE! So go, donate and enjoy.


Open Circle's Pickman's Model:
Directed by John McKenna
OK it's not Shakespeare, it's not mind blowing life altering theatre,  really its just a good bit of fun: creepy good fluff.  I enjoyed myself thoroughly. This might have been in part to the  rowdy group of people behind me. It reminded me of going to camp and having scary stories told about the fire. Simple in its devices, but well executed. They incorporate masks, there is a scene done pretty much entirely in pitch dark with occasional flashes from a camera, creepy high pitched noises and a variety of other fun devices.
Don MacEllis and Simon Astor were delightfully creepy. Kenna Kettrick is sweet and lovely and
Marianna De Fazio, Jennifer Pratt, Colin Shreiber ,Liz Cortez and Casandra Moselle all do a fine job in executing this spooky tale based on the writings of H.P. Lovecraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment