Sunday, April 26, 2015

Crockpot Tartufo and Fromage et Trois Gemelli ( 3 Cheese and Truffle Pasta in the Crockpot)

We are moving... so I'm trying to use up things...
also I'm starting to panic... which means I want comfort food.
The end result is Mac and Cheese... well.. sort of.
I don't have Macaroni so I'm using Gemelli, pretty little twists of pasta.

My dear friend Katie years ago made what she called Fromage et Trois at a Party... the recipe she would not share, but I've dreamed about it ever since. It was the best Macaroni and cheese ever.

This is my attempt... and I added some truffle salt and white and black truffle oil because... Truffles! I find that sage partners truffle well, they both have that earthy, musky thing happening that is so delicious... so if you don't have loads of truffle laying about. ( If you do, can we be friends?) Sage is a nice way to enhance the earthy flavor. I'm doing it in the crockpot because any time you can dump things in a crock pot and forget about if for a couple hours is a good thing in my mind.

Ingredients:
                                    1 package Organic Dried Pasta (17.6 oz). I used Gemelli
1 1/2 Cup Medium Cheddar - grated
1 1/2 Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar - grated
1 1/2 Cup Jarlsburg Swiss - grated
1 12 oz Can Evaporated Milk
3 Cups Milk ( I used Silk Cashew Milk) as that is what I had in my fridge.... I'm pretty sure real milk would be better... but use what you have.
6 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/2 Teaspoon Sage
1/4 Teaspoon Truffle Salt
1/8 Teaspoon Black Truffle Oil
                                         1/8 Teaspoon White Truffle Oil

Directions:
Spray your crockpot with cooking spray
Dump in your uncooked pasta
Throw in your cheeses
Throw in your milks, evaporated and regular
Toss in your garlic, spices and truffle goodness.

Mix it all together.

Set your crockpot and low, put the lid on, set your timer for two hours and go do laundry.. or pack.. or whatever floats your boat.

Some recipes you will see they add the spices at the end... I have never for the life of me understood this, unless its fresh herbs you are adding for beauty and flavor, I always mix my spices in at the beginning, that way they infuse what you are cooking with that goodness... if you throw them in at the end, you can barely taste them and whats the point. Wonder why some left overs are better the next day? Its because the spices have had a chance to blend in and do their magic. Give them a headstart and put them in at the start and you will have that awesome flavor the first day.















No comments:

Post a Comment