Before coming back to Montana, Clafoutis was not something I ate that much. My Aunt and my Mother both love it and so it has become a favorite of mine as well. It's quick and easy, everything done in less than an hour. The Huckleberry season was good last year, like little squirrels we went out and picked and picked, we ate quite a few and froze some away for the future. As both Mom and I are moving soon we are dutifully going through and trying to use up things, so as a chance to use up some of the huckleberries I decided to make Clafoutis.
My Uncle is Gluten Free and I try to avoid milk... I recently discovered the new Silk Cashew milk and am in love with it, it has great flavor and creamy consistency.
So Here is my Recipe: Preheat your oven to 350 F.
Ingredients:
1 cup gluten free Flour (namaste perfect flour blend)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups cashew milk (or milk of choice)
4 eggs
2 cups previously frozen huckleberries with their juices (can use fresh if you have)

Directions: In a large mixing bowl Mix your flour, salt, sugar, add your extracts (I like a mix of Vanilla and Almond extracts... you can just use one type if you like or leave it out all together if you just don't care. )and your milk...
Whisk Away till most of the lumps are gone (there will be some, and thats ok).
Add your eggs and whisk some more till everything is well combined.
Next, Mix in your huckleberries. When I make Clafoutis I like my fruit to be spread throughout it. Some people will bake it a few minutes before adding the fruit and then put the fruit on top and bake some more. It makes for a dramatic presentation to have it divided but I like the flavor consistency when the fruit is mixed. 
Put the goodness in the oven and set the timer for 45 minutes.

MMM Clafoutis.

When It First Comes out of the oven it will be a bit puffed up like a soufflé ... as you let it sit it will collapse and set up. This is normal and good. Let it set for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Enjoy!!
Clafoutis can be made with just about any fruit, I love it with berries, its good with pears, apples, peaches and plums. It's a very versatile semi sweet. I like it because it's not super sugary compared to some desserts.



No comments:
Post a Comment