I recently went to Vegas and had an epic adventure, ate some great food, saw some amazing things. While it very sadly didn't work out with the guy I went with... I'm honestly not sure what happened there, he dropped off the planet (who does that?!)(I'm quite heartbroken). The three days/two nights we were there were remarkable and I will always treasure them.
So here are things you should do/see:
We stayed at Paris Las Vegas which I would definitely recommend. It is located pretty centrally so easy walking distance to pretty much everything. The rooms were clean and nice and tastefully appointed, the bathroom was a bit dark, but the shower was heavenly. The tub was way too tiny for anyone but a child. The beds were comfortable, though the set up with the 2 queen beds had one of the beds pretty much right up against the bathroom wall. The staff was very helpful and we were able to check in early without problem and check out was a breeze as well (watch out for the resort tax! Vegas charges and just know that you will be spending about an additional $15-$20 a night in tax).
Our first meal was at Mon Ami Gabi we liked this place so much we went twice (lunch both) our first and our last meal. Primely located just across the street from the Bellagio Fountains with a patio deck overlooking the ever busy strip, this french Bistro has an impressive menu and wine selection. Tip... unless you like the sweltering heat and sun beating on you, and absolutely want to see the strip traffic, sit in the atrium. You still get that outside feel without melting, and it's not as loud. I loved my chicken and mushroom crepe the first time and we split some oysters and the salmon tartar the second time.
Currently showing at the Bellagio art exhibit is the Faberge now till essentially the end of May... honestly I expected more from the Bellagio... it was a rather lack luster exhibit... interesting pieces and a few snippets of information of note. Faberge was certainly a master craftsman, but with such interesting history surrounding each piece it would have been nice to have more history. Especially since we got the audio guide.
We had drinks at the Petrossian Bar also at the Bellagio which had cozy couches and seats to lounge on and listen to piano music while expensive cocktails were sipped and little nibbles munched. It looked like they had quite a scrumptious selection of caviars and did a high tea etc. We didn't do anything but the cocktails and the provided nibbles - truffle popcorn, seasoned nuts and sesame sticks. But the cocktails were tasty, but expensive. $14 a drink... welcome to Vegas! It was a lovely way to sit and relax and become accustomed to each other.
That night my (sadly short term) beau spoiled me by taking me to Alize. I had done some reading online and it was recommended as some of the best views and best food in Vegas. One of the 5 highest rated restaurants in North America, Michelin Stared, etc etc. Needless to say I was very excited to go, dressed up to the nines etc. It was the fellows first experience of a Tasting Menu and I was beyond excited that he wanted to try it. I love that sort of thing and its a fantastic experience to share with someone when its good. Alize fell short of my expectation. The service was remarkable and they deserve all the praise in the world, and the wine steward too picked fantastic wines... often which in my opinion outshone the food. The food.... lacked heart. As a cook I always think the tasting menu is a chance for a chef to play, to really show off what they are proud of... this one seemed... eh... ok... lacking love, and enthusiasm. We got two tasting menus, thinking we would have more bites this way and share/taste more. This was a concept that was somehow strange/foreign... hard to fathom as pretty much each time we would get one set of silverware for one dish and another for the other... also my date would get the meat dish first and I would inevitably get the fish/vegetarian dish first. Now it seems fairly common sense to me that if you have a couple sharing... you would course it out even more... send out 1 dish at a time, with a couple share plates, let them eat the one course, then bring the next. Especially for a place as highly rated as this, it seemed funny that they wouldn't. The food, as I mentioned lack luster. It was all generally acceptable but not the mind blowing experience of exquisite food I hoped for. My date seemed impressed though and I was happy to share his excitement and wonder. The only thing that really bugged me to a twitchy level was the music... for a fine dining establishment place it was really distracting. 1. It was too loud 2. The styles kept changing, 3. Most of the styles were inappropriate. My date and I both being music people found it highly distracting. Still I had his hand to hold and at the time that was the most wonderful thing imaginable.
We had a late start the next day but wandered down to the Mandalay Bay, I had a coupon for a buy one get one lunch at the Bayside Buffet...they were just about to close lunch... so perhaps it was a bit picked over by the time we went through, but I found it too... disappointing... still 1/2 off is half off and it was food to give us energy for the day.
The thing about Vegas is, its huge... it stretches on and on and each building/resort is about the size of 3 or 4 city blocks. It's overwhelming to someone like me, there are thousands of people everywhere you look and the constant noise of slot machines and music blasted and people talking. With my date, who I was completely enraptured with, these things didn't bother me at all. Vegas is like a big theatrical set and I find the attention to detail absolutely fascinating. We went to the Shark Reef which is one of the coolest things we saw. Really well presented with good bits of information, places to sit and watch the fish and sharks swim overhead. It was lovely... but then I am slightly obsessed with all things oceanic.
Next we went to the Luxor and had a margarita at the T&T (Tacos and Tequila) next to the exhibit area. Really delicious Mango Margarita and a chance to sit and relax for a moment. We then went to the Titanic Exhibit and I have to say if you have a chance to go to this, DO IT! It was one of the best exhibits I've ever been to, it blew me away. 25,000 sq ft of exhibit, they recreated hallways, 3rd class staterooms, 1st class staterooms, the grand staircase, a chunk of iceberg, a bit of deck, ... it was theatrical in its presentation with sound and temperature and everywhere you looked wonderful bits of information and quotes. The artifacts were well preserved and beautifully displayed with reverence and care. There was the most adorable little artifacts gal that followed us about eagerly answering questions and giving us tidbits of information, so happy to be able to share her knowledge. This exhibit was by far my favorite thing that we saw.
We then wandered about exploring New York New York, Aria, several other places till we ended up at Caesars Palace and decided on Sushi Roku which is up and out of the way in a part of the Caesars Palace mall area. This was my favorite meal of the trip. My date again spoiled me with an Omakase supper which was gorgeously prepared (we both agreed we liked it better than Alize). There was nothing exotic, which for the price was a bit of a shame... for $90 a person you would expect some uni and some escobar ... but it was really delicious and we had a very tasty sake sampler to go with. The setting was lovely, the service great... the music again ... awful... pretty much a vegas theme... too loud for a fine dining place and not the right style. Still I would most definitely eat here again and next time choose my own adventure!
Next stop was the old part of Vegas, we took a taxi to explore Fremont, some friends told me I absolutely had to go... we didn't stay long. The light exhibit was impressive and there was a very good U2 cover band playing as it was the night before St. Patricks day... but it was a much shadier part of town. I got hustled/accosted by a very persuasive cosmetics guy... managed to escape without losing anything but time and get some aggravating sticky crap on my face.
Next stop, the Linq High Roller Wheel. The most exciting thing about this was the couple that got engaged on it. It was not as advertised... I was expecting... I don't know what exactly but something more swanky and exciting. Skip this... definitely not worth $34.95 a person for a half hour ride. Uncomfortable seats, obnoxious video information guy, watered down boring drinks (also too expensive). Seemed like a good idea at the time.
The next morning... the last day.... After being spoiled so much by my (what the fuck? who says "I love you so much" one day and then disappears the next without explanation) guy.. I decided to treat him to something special and took him to Bouchon Bistro at the Venitian... we had a leisurely stroll down and a couple Kir Royals, some Beignets, and he had the omelet of the day and I had the Salmon Fume... it was lovely. Sat inside just by the doors to get a taste of the outside but not the heat. I would love to go back here for dinner sometime.
We went to the Mirage and checked out the Dolphin and Big Cat exhibit... Dolphins seemed happy, Cats seemed really really sad poor things.
My mother had arrived at that point so we went back to the Paris and met her and had one final meal at Mon Ami Gabi before the heartbreaker left.
It was a glorious trip.. for someone who doesn't gamble, and doesn't like big crowds I was uncertain how Vegas would be... with Rose Colored glasses on it was awesome. Id like to go back someday... for the shows and the food... it's not at the top of my list, but everyone should experience Vegas at some point. Preferably with someone who will spoil you silly... hopefully that person, unlike mine will stick with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment