Thursday, April 23, 2015

Veg and Cheese Bread Pudding.

In the battle of Stuffing Vs. Bread Pudding, for me, Bread Pudding always wins.  To me Stuffing, just isn't as magical.  Don't get me wrong, I like stuffing, ok... I just like Bread pudding more.

Stuffing is made with stale hard croutons, generally.


Bread pudding is made with slightly stale, but still soft bread.

Stuffing, depending on the recipe, has minimal vegetables... onion, maybe some oysters or sausage, and is made with stock and seasonings.

Bread pudding, again depending on the recipe has more of the things that stuffing has, plus cheese and often milk or cream instead or in addition to the stock.

Stuffing is drier.

Bread pudding is, like savory moist cake.



I was fortunate enough to snag a loaf of free bread from Polebridge Bakery the other day. Fresh bread is amazing, but unlike store bought commercial bread, it goes stale much faster. So when bread starts to stale, for me it's just a good excuse to make Bread Pudding. As it is one of mom's favorites she's always happy when this happens.

Today I did a Caramelized Onion, Garlic, Carrot, Celery, Mushroom and 3 Cheese Bread Pudding.

Yum!

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large Onion (I used Yellow).. I like medium small slices, I half the onion twice, once horizontally and once vertically, and then slice the halves into thin slices.
6 Cloves Garlic, chopped fine
2 Medium Carrots, sliced fairly thin.
3 Celery sticks, sliced fairly thin
8 Medium sized Crimini Mushrooms, sliced fairly thin
Spices to taste..
I used:
Oregano, about 1/2 teaspoon,
Sage, about 1/8 teaspoon
Thyme, about 1/8 teaspoon
Rosemary, about 1 Tablespoon
a bit of Cayenne .. just a dash
and himalayan salt... a few grinds
Spices are flexible.. if you like more, use more, if you like less, use less.... use different ones if you like. Play!
1/3 cup White Cheddar Cheese Shredded
1/3 Cup Medium Cheddar Cheese Shredded (to be mixed in)
1 Cup Medium Cheddar Cheese Shredded (to be baked on top)
1/3 Cup Pepper jack Cheese Shredded
1/2 Loaf good bread, slightly stale. (I used potato bread), sliced into 1 inch slices and then cubed. If your bread is already sliced, it doesn't matter, just cut it so there are nice bite sized cubes.
5 Eggs, scrambled
2 Cups (or more or less) Milk

Preheat your oven to 375 F. (190 C.)

In a large wok or Frying pan heat your oil, on medium high.
Add your onions and cook several minutes, stirring on occasion, until they start to become translucent and just start to caramelize. (About 5 Minutes)
Add Your garlic, stir and sauté a few more minutes.(about 3 minutes)
Add your carrots and celery, stir and sauté yet a few more minutes. (About 3 minutes)
Add your mushrooms, stir and sauté even more.
Add your spices. Again my measurements when it comes to spices are loose, I pour a bit into my hand, or into the pot as it calls to me and roll with it. I know this is difficult when attempting to replicate but part of the joy of cooking is playing. Add more, use less, don't like rosemary? (what are you crazy?) try tarragon or dill.. either of those would be tasty.
Sauté all this awesomeness till the carrots start to soften and the mushrooms are cooked.


Remove from the heat.
In a large mixing bowl add your cubed bread and your shredded cheese (except for the 1 cup med. cheddar)


 and stir in your cooked veggies.
Stir in your milk...
It will look rather like throw up at this point... 

I know, not attractive but trust me the end result is yummy!
Stir in your scrambled eggs.





Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and pour in your big bowl of bread, veggie, cheesy glop. spread it out evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.



Bake for about 25 minute (until the cheese is melted and the pudding is golden on top, but still nice and a bit gooey in the middle)

Let set for about 5 minutes.



EAT!

It may not be the prettiest, but man it's good !!
Mom gave it a gold star.


No comments:

Post a Comment