Thursday, April 16, 2015

Space Scrubbing/Spring Cleaning/Packing Up and Moving Out

Packing and moving a life collection of stuff for the third time in five years is overwhelming. My first two moves were kamikaze events, a mad dash of packing everything up and moving quickly. There was no time for sorting and purging, and honestly, I wasn't in the head space to tackle that anyway. So now here we are and I'm doing a major spring clean, space scrubbing, clearance of unnecessary.

I come from a long line of hoarders. My fathers side is the worst. In the last year, with my Dad's health issues I've had to attack his "collection" of everything ever to come into his life. Dad throws away nothing. Purging his stuff isn't that hard, for me. I've kept what I know is most important to him, sold what I could to pay his bills, kept a few things of sentimental or use for myself, and let the rest go. (the ??? yr old moldy/partially liquified onion in the bag, in the box full of other nasty stuff... yeah that was the worst)

As I face my own hoard... small in comparison though it may be, in my 37 years I have still managed to amass a collection of stuff. My weakness is books and kitchen stuff. The little storage shed where my belongings have sat for the last two years is a bit like a cave of wonders.  Having lived without daily access to it for so long, going through it now is a bit like christmas. Which in some ways makes being objective even harder. "Oh that thing! I love that thing! I must keep that thing!" But do I? Space scrubbing is important for mental and physical health. There is a reason why so many religious concepts teach simplicity, it's just better for you.

There is a growing trend of Simple Living, Living Small,  Off the Grid Living, and Small Space Living, Tiny Houses etc. I have to say that this concept is appealing to me. In L.A. I will have a roommate and our whole apt is 972 sq feet. My bedroom will be only 11x13. I don't have much furniture, a few bookcases, a small dresser, mattress and boxspring. It sounds simple enough. I look around at all my stuff though and think: "Do I need this?" I don't suppose I NEED any of it. But I like it, some of it's useful. Use is a loose term ... books aren't necessarily useful, especially my favorite fiction novels, but, they provide me with comfort and distraction. I imagine I will be able to have some of my things in the common area, but I certainly don't want to take over.

How do you decide what stays and what goes?
My own thought process has become a bit like this - 3 questions:
1. Will I use it? is it something that I will use multiple times in a given period of time (say a year)?
2. Is it worth any thing? Is it worth more to sell it and have the funds or to keep it for sentiment? (note... I don't have much of anything that could be considered of value, most are family bits that would sell for pittance on Ebay).
3. Does it serve me in any way? besides being of use, does it bring me joy, inspire, educate or enlighten me in any way.

If I can answer those questions successfully, then that helps me in my process. I've gotten rid of a lot, boxes and boxes of stuff, books, clothes etc. I still have quite a bit... I will more than likely do one more sweep before I make the move.

So when is the last time you scrubbed your space? How do you decide what stays and what goes? In a materialistic world where he with the most toys wins how do you practice non-attachment and find zen in simplicity?  Thoughts for decluttering a space.

No comments:

Post a Comment